View in Browser

Happy Homecoming, ‘Canes! Homecoming is a great time to connect and build community with your fellow ‘Canes. In this newsletter, we will highlight how to grow your social well-being during this busy time of the year.

What Is Social Well-Being?

Financial icon

Developing and maintaining connections that allow you to form a community of mutual support

Maintain Your Social Well-Being

Attend homecoming events to foster connections within the UM community

• Hurricanes Help the Hometown: Volunteering improves social connections, lessen stress, and provide a sense of purpose
  • Amp up your social connections by getting a group together to enjoy the Homecoming Concert
  • Join alumni, faculty, staff, and members of the community for a whirlwind celebration at the Hurricane Howl Block Party.

Participate in Homecoming events safely 

• If you’re attending the Homecoming football game, be sure to stay hydrated throughout the day and eat a full meal.
  • If you choose to drink, pace yourself by sticking to one standard drink per hour and alternating between alcoholic drinks and water.
  • Have a plan to get home safely: use a ride-share app, have a designated driver, and/or use UMPD’s Rave Guardian app.

Read: Advice from Students

Read below for some helpful tips from your fellow students about maintaining social well-being while balancing busy schedules:

• The most helpful strategies I use to maintain my social well-being while balancing a busy schedule is keeping a planner, and constantly writing to-do lists. It helps me keep track of things I need to do for class, work, and my personal life, plus I can organize things in order of relevance. Also, crossing off things on my to-do list out is the most satisfying thing ever! - Dagi, junior
  • To maintain my social well-being, my favorite thing to do to de-stress after a long day of school is play soccer with my teammates. Outside of club sports, I am always striving to maintain close contact with my friends and family. Even if I am far away, I love calling them to catch up and I always feel better after taking to them. - Sophie, senior
  • In times that there's a lot of schoolwork, I'll invite people into my life in areas that I'll usually do alone like asking someone to come to the dining hall with me or to go study together where we will hold each other accountable to finishing certain work within a time frame. This lets me relax a bit while still being productive during intense times like finals week. - Daphne, junior
  • A strategy I use to maintain my social well-being throughout the busy school year is to schedule time to hang out with friends and make plans in advance. This really helps me feel less pressured to say yes to spontaneous plans that I don't feel like I have time for, and having something already planned helps me maintain a balance between school and my personal life. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to as I work! - Kate, senior

Do: Send a "Gratitext"

Showing gratitude is a powerful way to promote social connection, increase happiness, and benefit overall well-being. Take a few moments to consider the people in your life that you are grateful for. Show your gratitude towards them by sending a “Gratitext.” Tell this person you appreciate them and why.

Engage With Your Well-Being

• Intramural Soccer Registration | Closes Thursday, Nov. 3 at 11:59 p.m. | Register Here
  • 'Canes Against Vaping | Monday, Nov. 7 | 10 a.m. - Noon | Rock Plaza
  • Pop-Up HIV and STD Screening | Wednesday, Nov. 9 | 9:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. | Herbert Wellness Center | Book an Appointment
  • Snacks with Student Health | Monday, Nov. 14 | 4:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. | Register Here
  • Narcan (Naloxone) Training | Tuesday, Nov. 15 | Noon - 1 p.m.| Shalala Student Center South Activities Room | Register Here
  • Health Body Talk Week | Monday, Nov. 14 - Thursday, Nov. 17 | More Information
  • BIPOC Radical Healing Circle | Wednesday, Nov. 16| Noon - 1 p.m. | Register Here

Check your email every Wednesday for Ibis News to see upcoming events for the week, and view the University events calendar for a complete listing of on-campus events and programs.