View in Browser

Student Well-Being Newsletter header

As we continue to emphasize the importance of maintaining your social well-being, we recognize that now is about the time of year when you may start to experience homesickness or are simply feeling disconnected from your friends and loved ones from home. Read below for some helpful tips from your fellow students about staying in touch with others.

What is Social Well-Being?

An icon of three dots connected in a network on a light red background

Developing and maintaining connections that allow you to form a community of mutual support

Improve Your Social Well-Being

Routinely connect with family and friends from home: 

• "Establish a day and time to go for a walk on campus and call your friends and family from home." - Syndey, second-year student
  • "I make it a point to call, FaceTime, or message my friends and family at least once a day so that I never feel far away from them." - Nina, fourth-year student

Keep memories from home nearby: 

• "Print a picture of your family or friends from home or keep a cherished item with you so you always have something to remember those you care about." - Rohan, fourth-year student

Embrace your new community: 

• "Make time to do something you love and get involved in activities where you can be part of a new community." - Kareena, second-year student
  • "Find ways to make campus feel like home by establishing new traditions with new friends like watching a weekly show or eating a meal together after class." - Julie, fourth-year student

Engage with campus resources: 

Do: Keep a Journal

Writing down your thoughts and feelings in a journal can be a helpful way to identify how your emotions are impacting your day-to-day life. Especially if you are experiencing homesickness, spend a few minutes each day reflecting on questions like these:

• How am I feeling today?
  • What do I miss about home?
  • What positive aspects of my home life can I recreate here?
  • What new experiences am I looking forward to?
Unfamiliar with journaling? Read BuzzFeed's 18 Life-Changing Tips For Keeping A Journal to learn more.

Engage With Your Social Well-Being

Check your email every Wednesday for Ibis News to see upcoming events for the week, and view the University events calendar for a complete listing of on-campus events and programs.