View in Browser

Student Well-Being Newsletter header

We recognize that now is the time of year when you may be experiencing feelings of stress, anxiety, overwhelm, and other related emotions. Read below for some helpful tips about checking in on your emotional well-being.

What Is Emotional Well-Being?

An icon of an interconnected brain and heart

Managing your emotions in healthy and constructive ways to cope with life’s challenges.

Check in on Your Emotional Well-Being

Start your day with a one-minute reflection

Ask yourself a simple check-in question each day. Something like, “What do I need so that I feel healthy today?” helps you to identify your emotional needs.

Practice self-compassion

When you practice self-compassion, your positive emotions and beliefs about yourself increase and you are likely to be more productive and better respond to stress.

Plan something new to break out of your routine

Even though it may be tough, taking an intentional break to do something new and rewarding can help combat burnout.

Spend time outdoors

Did you know that spending just two hours outdoors each week can improve your mental health, including your coping skills?

Engage with campus resources:

Read: Advice from Students

Peer educators from the Counseling Outreach Peer Education (COPE) program invited students to ask questions about mental health. Read one of their answers below:

How can I prioritize my mental health when college can be so demanding?

In addition to following the tips above:

• Take the stress out of organizing your day with a planner that includes your class and work schedules as well as times for meals, social activities, and when to focus on your well-being.
  • Set a sleep routine with consistent sleep and wake-up times. Getting enough rest keeps your body and mind at their best.
  • Share your emotions with a trusted person like your resident/community assistant, commuter or transfer assistant, advisor, professor, family, or friend. Consider contacting the Counseling Center if you think talking to someone outside of your social circle can help.
Remember, each day presents opportunities for growth. By reflecting on your mental health regularly, you will be on your way to managing your emotions to cope with life's challenges.

Engage With Your Emotional Well-Being

• Test Taking Workshop with the Counseling Center and Camner Center for Academic Resources | Thursday, Nov. 4 | 1 p.m. | via Zoom (964 7447 817)
  • Meditation for Inner Peace and Happiness | Sundays | 7 p.m. | via Zoom | Learn More
  • Healthy Body Talk Week | Nov. 16 - 18 | Learn More
Check your email every Wednesday for Ibis News to see upcoming events for the week, and view the University events calendar for a complete listing of on-campus events and programs.